Sunday, September 2, 2007

Discernment

Today's talk by Phakist Kunardi, at SACCRE Youth's Leader's Seminar for Discernment was awesome.

He brought to light that Discernment is not about knowing what is the best thing to do or what is right or wrong but about God's will. It's about listening to God

He was absolutely charming. Keep a lookout for the notes and the audio recording at http://www.saccre-youth.org/!



As for me... Phakist's sharing led me to reflect on times where I was in a high, and when I was in a low. He talked about how we should not make decisions when we're too high, or change a decision when we're in the lows.

When I told God a long time ago at the YISS in 1999: "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" I had made a decision there and then. And God honored it. And I'm still here serving today.... So it's so true.. it's a calling on my life. And perhaps you have a particular calling too?

Many times, I had wanted to stop everything, quit, and do something else in life - and that was when I was in the "lows". Then, the "Highs" then got me all firey but also impatient, because it seemed no one else was as passionate as me. So, I thought, then what? Why is the Christian life seemingly so difficult?

So it's true that it's only when we've calmed down and are looking at things clearly, without being too low or high or emotional, then can we discern our lives and directions carefully, through our mind, feelings, heart, community, advisors, and God's confirmation through his Spirit speaking to us, each and every minute!

So I've learnt that when I run away and try not to hear what God has to say to me, I never have peace. Only when we embrace and listen to God's call and walk in that direction, we will understand why things are the way they are, or why we have been created the way we are, that God really knows best.

Today many things unravel for me and I praise God for this wonderful opportunity to have Phakist with us all the way from Indonesia!

No comments: