Thursday, February 21, 2008

On being crucified with Christ....

Today's Verse: For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. 1 Corinthians 1:18 / KJV

Being “crucified”. What does it mean?

Living by faith. What does it mean?

I believe it is a constant search. Funny how I believed in it so fervently once… when I first got into the Charismatic renewal. And as if to add jest to the whole “journey in Christ”, I am finding myself, drawn back to the root of things – again – like going back one circle. Asking the first question ever – once again – what is Christianity all about?

For all the people I’ve seen in ministry, I believe those who really have effect for God’s kingdom, impacting the world, touching lives, are those who can say – I’ve been crucified with Christ, I no longer live but Christ lives in me…

Sometimes, we do many wonderful things that people can also praise us for. But that alone doesn’t show us the Power of Christ within us. The truth, the crunch – is whether are we able to say, “I’ve been crucified with Christ?” – aka to share in the suffering of Christ. Yes, very Catholic indeed!

This is the Lenten season – I almost forgot! – and I remember something that I wanted to give up for Lent. My late nights. I believe God is beginning a new journey in me – softening my hardened and bitter heart once again to be truly delightful in all of His ways – to no longer question His purposes, about why we suffer – but to bear all things – to have long-suffering – the fruit of the Holy Spirit.

There are 9 fruits of the Holy Spirit. We’ve heard about it here and there… but it is only now that I am beginning to realize about “some” of the fruit in greater detail – e.g. Long-suffering aka PATIENCE. I always believed I am patient as a person. But when it comes to spiritual patience – perseverance – I am lacking in the willpower. Lack the drive to Hope in the Lord. Lack the desire to Trust fully in God. Read about Patience: http://searchwarp.com/swa291552.htm

Suddenly, I am filled with a feeling of real need. For God. Because deep down inside, I know that the REALITY of life is that NOTHING in the world can satisfy you.

It’s hard to accept – you may accept it at face value at first, but when the “trials” begin you’ll wonder – about the whole notion of it all – and start doubting about the whole “Christianity” thing – are we silly fools dedicated to old beliefs that first is last, and last is first? “Double-Speak” as Orwell calls it: http://www.orwelltoday.com/dblspkthennow.shtml

How do we Christians stand up in the world? It is only by living through our trials, our distresses, with an objective mind – weighing all evidences that point to God, and also against God (we do realize there are spiritual forces of evil who would gladly guide people away from God). Not forgetting, we must also allow us to hear God, let Him speak to us through prayer, people, etc…, and to have a humility of heart that would allow God to show us His Truth – only then would we find – the answers we are searching for in our lives.

When we have lived through those times, we then emerge from the valley onto Higher Ground – and we see – the beauty of it all. We see God… and look down upon the path we have walked and thank God that He has always been there with us. Peace transcends all understanding.

Peace be with you.

No comments: