Monday, August 10, 2009

Vanessa's take on Psalms 23

5 August 2009 - I’ve been thinking about this since Bob Fitt’s worship workshop on saturday morning (1st August 2009).. psalm 23.

I cannot get it off my mind. It is on my mind day and night, as I work and as I play. In psalm 37,4 it says to delight yourself in the Lord and he shall give you the desires of your heart.

Then I questioned, what is my heart’s desire? As Bob and Kathy would put it, as something you enjoy doing that you take delight in.

I thought about psalm 23, when I had the spooks last Sat night. Not sure if I heard something or someone's TV was on.. anyway, I got spooked.

So I thought of Psalm 23's verse: "Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil…"

But..Why did I fear?

Thoughts of you, just consume me night and day.

Oh if only I would let go of things I am too stubborn to let go of. It’s like these words marched though my head, I have great plans for you. Let go.

What is my hearts desire. Again I asked. Delight youself in the Lord. But, isnt it my desire that I delight myself in Him? ps23.1 “The Lord is my sheperd, there is nothing I shall want”

Your fire is a consuming fire.

I find rest and comfort in you. Let me wait upon you, and be still.
- ps23.2 “he makes me lie down by green pastures, and leads me by still waters”
- ps 46:10 “Be still and know that I am God”

Restoration
- ps 23.3 “He restores my soul, He leads me in the path of righteousness for His Name’s sake”
- His restoration keeps us fresh daily
- Our source never runs dry

I guess it doesnt..

Fearlessness
ps 23.4, Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear NO EVIL, for You are with me. Your rod and your staff comfort me.

“Perfect love casts out all fear”, 1 john 4:18

But yet I feared that moment when tested. Sigh. Do I not remember, “I will never leave you nor forsake you?”, that “I am with you always?”, that “nothing can separate us from the love of God”?, seriously, have you ever offended someone’s loved one? The next thing that happens to is that someone is going to protect the one loved..

You are with me, You are with me, You are with me.

Isnt that such comfort?

Constant Victory, Favour
psalm, 23.5: You prepare a table before me, in the presense of my enemies. You annoint my head with oil; my cup overflows….

The word “Annointing” is sometimes misused.. It means favour. The favour of the Lord never leaves you. You may be accused by the enemy to discourage you. God is the strongest when the situation is at its’ worst.

There were days I felt abandoned, as if some situations were beyond redemption. These lies sometimes seem overwhelming. It is great comfort to know and be reminded that He is somehow, preparing that great feast, that great end result, and that I am not abandoned, that he knows best. My God provides.

Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? 36 As it is written, “For your sake we are being killed all the day long; we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.” 37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38 For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. – Romans 8:35-39

Goodness and Mercy
Psalm 23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

Remember that when you lead, the favour of God is upon you

No comments: